Thursday, April 26, 2007

Who was on the Chyebassa, September-October 1885? Frances Crago

From Ella's autograph book.

Mistranscribed on the passenger list.
CRAGS, Frances (21)

And there ends the story, as Queensland BDM records to 1914 do not record a marriage or death. The only Crago births after 1885 have either Francis Crago or John Crago as father. So, what happened to Frances J Crago?

A Frances Jane CRAGO was born in Holborn, Middlesex, in the March Quarter of 1863, which is close enough to the stated age. Nobody of that name, age, and birthplace shows in 1871 or 1881 Census indexes.

6 comments:

robynk said...

Hi, I am very excited to find this. My great grandmother was Frances Jane Crago, known as Hocking, who settled in Katamatite and married William John Heyme, then my great grandfather Ned (Edwin) Gouldson. She was sent out to Australia, and later her mother Rosina Hocking (nee Crago) and her step father Edwin Hocking came out here too.

robynk said...

Continued, Frances shows up in the census as Frances Jane Hocking in Cornwall, and yes she was was born in Middlesex in 1863/4. Leave me a message if you would like to see photos of Frances.

Geoff_D said...

robynk, I hope that you read this, You must think I'm awful for not responding. It was about that time that I began to feel unwell and lost interest in many of my activities. A year later, I was diagnosed with something dreadful, and am only now getting over the effects of the disease and its treatment.

I would very much like to see a photo of Frances Jane, and thank you very much for clearing up why she was so very hard to find in the records.

robynk said...

Hi Geoff, excited to get your message, and glad you are getting over your illness. Our website is http://ourhistoryweb.tripod.com and under photos Gouldson, you will some with Frances Jan Crago whose second marriage was to Ned Gouldson, so she is listed under Frances Gouldson.

The family story is that she had given birth to a child in England, and sent out in service to Australia.

regards,
Robyn K

robynk said...

sorry Frances Jane (not Jan) :-)

robynk said...

Turns out I was wrong. Our Frances my gt Grandma did not have any children prior to her coming to Australia. Just sent out here for a life and married her cousin in Victoria, then married my gt grandfather after death of first husband.